Bohic    0

So what are peoples thoughts on VR will it go the way of Kinect or is it the future.  I am an oculus rift with touch controllers owner and love it but really find most games are still very demo like.   Resident evil drops and don't pulls an exclusive for a year?!?!  Stupid on a market that's just starting, should be trying to encourage, meanwhile oculus has been trying to close down its infustruture every chance they get.

With Project Scorpio on the horizon I'm super hopeful they will embrace the rift and vive along with msvr.   Otherwise I think this market will die if everybody tries to lock down exclusives.

Edited by Bohic

lucwolfe    35

I don't know, having to wear something on your head inside is a big turn off. People look ridiculous too. I think its pricey to be uncertain. (although I'm trying to get a switch and that could go wrong too)

I wear glasses what happens to people with bad vision?

Bohic    0

Most of the headsets are rather glasses friendly although I have some square glasses that sit wide on my face and they don't work.   So with that I use contacts or go without since the screen is so close and my vision isn't horrible.

My biggest issue has been vertigo, it's noticeable when looking down off an edge or when you control a walking char.   I tried playing destiny via Xbox steam and virtual desktop, after about 20 mins I felt a little nauseous.

Also space is a concern, I'm considering moving it to the den but that creates an inconvenience to use my desktop for anything else?

Hadn't really thought of the stupid looking factor

Fifty    24

I've had my PSVR since it launched. Complete impulse buy when I saw one in stock. I don't regret buying it at all but I am still waiting for that killer app. Trying it for the first time was a definite "wow" moment for me. The PSVR headset is super comfortable. 

The Star Wars Battlefront VR mission is pretty sweet, definitely helps because it is Star Wars. The potential for an X-Wing or TIE Fighter game would be amazing. 

Personally I think VR is the future of games, I just don't think the future is today. I think PSVR, Oculus, and Hive(?) have to grow from it's current state to something more real and viable. Also the cost is so prohibitive currently, I mean the cheapest VR out there is a PS4 Prop and PSvr ($449 + $699 = $1148), and that is supposed to be cheap? Once the price comes down, and a proper AAA VR game is made, it will be for the elite!

X-Warlock    15

I just built a VR/4k capable beast of a PC last Friday and I'm still on the fence for VR. I'm excited as all hell for it but there's just no killer app that makes it a worthwhile purchase at the moment and for the cost of a headset I would be happier putting it towards a 65" 4K samsung. 

Fifty    24

I have to admit defeat. I almost never use my PSVR. Now that I have a 4K/HDR capable set I'm considering selling it and my PS4 and upgrade to simply a PS4 Pro. It is better than cost neutral l if I go the trade route with someone like EB. Going to explore private sale first though but there's quite a few PSVR units out there locally on Craigslist. So we'll see if that route is even worth it.

@Bohic warned me about exactly this.

lucwolfe    35

i'm not attracted by the VR tech, its more gimmicky for me than anything else. I see kids breaking a lot of stuff with it too.

Fifty    24

So I called EB to check their trade values. $190 for the VR unit, $26 for the camera and $8 for two Move controllers.

If the numbers were close to what I might be privately I'd save myself the hassle of posting ads and dealing with cheapskate hagglers. Most people online are listing for $500. I think I'll try my luck selling privately.

lucwolfe    35

I dont think game stores like EB guve you fair value for the items.  Privately is the best way to go. You still have all the box?

Bohic    0

VR is killing itself with exclusives... Resident evil had the chance to open the market and they signed 1 year exclusive.   Oculus is doing everything they can to lock down a proprietary infustruture.  Vive... Well anybody seen any advertising and have they shrink the controllers yet.   Really wanted to see Xbox one x with pc headset VR support (vive /oculus / open source) to help broaden the market.  Once again pooch screwed.   Dead tech now. SAD

Edited by Bohic

Fifty    24

That's an interesting take. I never thought of it that way. For me, it was the fact the darn thing was collecting too much dust.I figure I better cut my losses and get what I can when I can. 

No box. Not for the PS VR and not for me when Janice gets home on Sunday and finds the new rig on the wall.

X-Warlock    15

Oculus's price drop almost had me buying (but I found a Switch instead), tho I'm glad I held off as there's big rumors that they're going to be releasing a wireless VR set in the $200- $300 price range next year. Frankly, I'd sooner wait for that than be tethered to my PC while I shamble about blindly due to a headset over my eyes.