• creeping_judas bought 3 games on Black Friday
  • Marty remortgage his house for a 4K tv and an Xbox One X
  • creeping_judas was caught drinking budweiser last week as TMZ reports
  • Wolfe purchased his Xbox One S with no game
  • Marty has filed for bankruptcy after going out on Black Friday
Sign in to follow this  
Fifty

Star Wars Battlefront II

Regardless of the drama that surrounds this game at the moment this is a day one purchase in our house. Sam is more excited for this game than Mario to the point where I'm thinking twice about even buying a Switch for the boys for Christmas. Anyone else getting this game? We're playing on XB1.

Or has the recent backlash changed your mind? I must say it was nice to see EA address this today and actually implement some positive changes.

I'm not one to purchase micro-transactions, ever, so this is from a point of view of someone who just doesn't understand the appeal.

New articles are coming up today that do the micro-transaction math, showing it would take 4,528 hours of gameplay to unlock everything. Alternatively, you would need $2,100 worth of crystal packs (if you only buy the $100 packs).

http://www.swtorstrategies.com/2017/11/it-will-take-4528-hours-of-gameplay-or-2100-to-unlock-all-base-game-content.html

The crazy thing is that it makes sense for EA to do this... some people will not care, and still play the game and have fun. That's fine. Koodos to you guys. And EA will make bank on those who are wiling to fork over the cash to unlock everything. But IMO it is setting a dangerous precedence, where companies can make crazy bank by shifting the progression of the game waaaaay out, on all kinds of games, not only the ones that are already more "grindy".

Would Zelda be the same if you had to grind 4000+ hours to get the master sword? You undoubtedly do not need the master sword to finish the game, but it's just not the same. 

So although I enjoyed SWBF1, I will be voting on this with my wallet by not buying the game, let alone forking over more cash to unlock Vader...

3 hours ago, MartyB said:

The crazy thing is that it makes sense for EA to do this... some people will not care, and still play the game and have fun. That's fine. Koodos to you guys. And EA will make bank on those who are wiling to fork over the cash to unlock everything. But IMO it is setting a dangerous precedence, where companies can make crazy bank by shifting the progression of the game waaaaay out, on all kinds of games, not only the ones that are already more "grindy".

This absolutely nails my feelings on the matter. I read somewhere that 2-5% of players drive the revenue from these models. The problem with this is that even is the majority of gamers boycott a game it may not affect that revenue stream. 

My son Sam and I fall into that first category you mention. We're both huge Star Wars fans and are playing purely for the fun of it. I had a really good time last night playing through the start of the campaign.

The game isn't without its technical issues. Man, I don't know what they've done to the cutscenes but they're crap. The gameplay looks stunning but the cutscenes are certainly not part of the 4K asset package. I don't expect the cut scenes to be in full 4K but they're pixellated as all hell and not even in 1080p. Its almost like they're being streamed from some low quality source. What you can find on YouTube is better quality. To me its a real blemish on the game's overall level of polish.

• Like 1

I personally do not really mind DLC and some certain micro transactions. But I do despise when it is a pay 2 win scenario. I played probably played about maybe two weeks in total time of Neverwinter, and yes I did pay RL money for certain upgrades that made my enjoyment of that game increase. The increase in storage was for my own enjoyment, and did make it a pay to win scenario. I did not waste any of my RL on new mounts or anything like that.

I have paid for additional story line content, if I felt the return on investment would be worth it. And passed on other's that just did not seem to worth the RL cash. 

Those 5% will always have the flashier cars, the flashier mounts or what ever it maybe, but as long as you are not paying to win I am ok with MT's.

PS. I have not really followed up on this EA issue other than reading article titles, so not 100% what the controversy is.

Backlash changed my mind pretty hard to the point I cancelled my pre-order. The whole pay-to-win progression will ultimately drive me mad in MP and the campaign is just too short to justify at launch price. I'll likely grab it in a year or so when it's on sale for $20.

16 minutes ago, X-Warlock said:

I'll likely grab it in a year or so when it's on sale for $20.

I don't think that you're going to have to wait that long. Someone at EA was quoted recently saying the game would be discounted closer to TLJ's release in theaters.

I picked up this game as I loved the Big Battle type games and the Star Wars world is great to be in. Even though I seem to only gotten worst as shooters in the last few years. I picked it up on Xbox. 

Edited by Tywaz
Spelling correction

On 11/20/2017 at 3:27 PM, Tywaz said:

I picked up this game as I loved the Big Battle type games and the Star Wars world is great to be in. Even though I seem to only gotten worst as shooters in the last few years. I picked it up on Xbox. 

Old age, happens to us all!! I will have SWBF II at Christmas time.