• Fifty was found sleeping in his bed this morning
  • BBQ Bacon was release from custody after smuggling bacon at a vegan party
  • X-Warlock is trying to sell his video card
  • creeping_judas was caught drinking budweiser last week as TMZ reports
  • Wolfe hasn't got his Xbox One yet
Sign in to follow this  
Fifty

4K / HDR TV's

Figured this was worthy of its own thread after Sam and I were discussing it in another thread.

Do you have one? If so, what brand/model did you go with? Why did you choose what you did? How much did you pay?

I'm in the market, just in research mode right now. Looking to pull the trigger before fall when the Scorpio launches.

LG 65" (6150)4K with HDR and 120hz refreh rate. It was on sale at Best Buy for $1399 ($300 off).

For me it had to have the HDR amd a refresh rate of 120hz, and an upscaler. I had a budget of around $1500 before taxes, and all Sony's were sold out in Ontario.

Just a heads up, you do need a 4K source such as a X1S or PS4P, in order to get the best out of the TV. The apps on the TV will have Netflix and Youtube that will now start providing 4K programming, but it is limited. All I can say is that Forza Horizon 3 looks amazing with the HDR settings on!!

Nice. No issues getting HDR set up and working? Do you have a PS4 too?

That price point alone has this set on my radar all of a sudden. Sam saw it on my laptop this morning and already started making plans about relocating one of the TV's to his room. Fat chance kid!

3 hours ago, Fifty said:

Nice. No issues getting HDR set up and working? Do you have a PS4 too?

That price point alone has this set on my radar all of a sudden. Sam saw it on my laptop this morning and already started making plans about relocating one of the TV's to his room. Fat chance kid!

No, the TV has 3 HDR setting low, medium and high, you just have to choose the level of brightness you want. I seem to be enjoying the high setting the best. I would think most TV's would come with universal settings included so you won't have to go around worrying about technical settings. The TV also has a "sunny room" and a "not so sunny" room settings for different times of the day, if you have windows in the room you put the TV in. I am quite impressed! I thought with my crappy internet connection, I wouldnt be able to stream 4K content from Netflix and Youtube, but even that seems to work quite well for me, so I am happy that I am able to stream 4K content.

Is it a smart TV Sam or are you using the PS4/X1 to make the TV smart?  In the new place in BC, I'm going strictly wireless and not spending the money on Cat 5e or 6 and just stick with wireless.  For now streaming Netflix (non-4k) works fine even on my 2MB wireless connecting in BC.

8 hours ago, BBQ Bacon said:

Is it a smart TV Sam or are you using the PS4/X1 to make the TV smart?  In the new place in BC, I'm going strictly wireless and not spending the money on Cat 5e or 6 and just stick with wireless.  For now streaming Netflix (non-4k) works fine even on my 2MB wireless connecting in BC.

Dean, to be honest with you, I think you would be hard pressed not to find a "smart tv" these days. The battle seems to be over whose "smart tv" is better than the other's. When reading the reviews, some people did not like LG's Web OS.3 Smart TV app, and preferred other apps. I can tell you it's better than Vizio's app.  The TV's smart app is better then either Xbox or PS offerings. 

I don't know about 2mbs for 4K streaming. This is why I was worried about my internet connection and 4K streaming? (perhaps I'm not getting true 4K, but is sure does look good!)

To stream in 4K Ultra HD with HDR, Netflix recommends you have a consistent minimum download speed of at least 25 megabits per second. That multiplies out to roughly 11.25 gigabytes per hour.May 5, 2016

I'd be looking at a 40" tv for my bar in my basement so I don't need to use the projector all the time to game. Thankfully for me I might have a connection for a deal. Maybe one day i'll swap for hd projector for a 4k but not any time soon, not at the price they are sold at.

On 3/2/2017 at 8:25 PM, lucwolfe said:

I'd be looking at a 40" tv for my bar in my basement so I don't need to use the projector all the time to game. Thankfully for me I might have a connection for a deal. Maybe one day i'll swap for hd projector for a 4k but not any time soon, not at the price they are sold at.

Do they even have 4K projectors yet?

3 hours ago, creeping judas said:

They've had them for a while.  Commercial 4k projectors were available last decade and consumer models were released around the same time as 4k TVs.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, creeping judas said:

this would be a model I would look at (i'm not getting one) Future I'll have an 8 or 16k in 10 years

5 hours ago, creeping judas said:

Sony seems to be the big 4K projector supporter right now.  There is one for about $9900 and it supports HDR too.  I need to read reviews on it, because I really want to get some HDR content on my screen.  I would get a small TV for my home office, where I do work and review games, but no TV under 43 inch and under supports true HDR the way the bigger TVs do.

Samsung KS8000... Most highly rated TV series of 2016 for HDR gaming. When researching keep your eye on the lag times of the TV. Some will post great numbers in HD or even UHD but the lag drastically increases when you introduce HDR in the mix. The KS8000 has the lowest input lag with HDR, and has a superb colour reproduction. I researched for a solid couple of months, wanted an OLED but feel like the tech is to infant right now.

HDR is nice, but it's not like it was going from 480i to 1080p... It's subtle at times but definitely there. The KS8000 will auto detect an HDR signal and enable the settings (backlight gets cranked to max) automatically. However, you have to manually change the backlight when in game mode and an HDR signal is running.

Also, I paid just under list price around November of last year. About $2300. Found a sketchy website that had it listed for $850 less online and the dumb-ass at Best Buy price matched it so I ended the day getting it for a really solid price.

Edited by djkail

On 3/11/2017 at 10:20 AM, djkail said:

Samsung KS8000... Most highly rated TV series of 2016 for HDR gaming. When researching keep your eye on the lag times of the TV. Some will post great numbers in HD or even UHD but the lag drastically increases when you introduce HDR in the mix. The KS8000 has the lowest input lag with HDR, and has a superb colour reproduction. I researched for a solid couple of months, wanted an OLED but feel like the tech is to infant right now.

HDR is nice, but it's not like it was going from 480i to 1080p... It's subtle at times but definitely there. The KS8000 will auto detect an HDR signal and enable the settings (backlight gets cranked to max) automatically. However, you have to manually change the backlight when in game mode and an HDR signal is running.

Also, I paid just under list price around November of last year. About $2300. Found a sketchy website that had it listed for $850 less online and the dumb-ass at Best Buy price matched it so I ended the day getting it for a really solid price.

All I can say is that HDR and Forza Horizon 3 and Blizzard Mountain DLC is amazing!! There is definitely a difference with HDR on and off. Haven't seem much of a difference  playing GR:W?

What size did $2300 get you?

I snagged an LG 55" 4K tv from Dell last year for about $1300. It's not too shabby. Dig the picture quality and the sound.

Will finally be able to start using the 4k features when I get a PS4 Pro and Scorpio.

• Love 1

On 2017-03-11 at 7:20 AM, djkail said:

I'd buy that set without a second thought for under $1500. Dammit @djkail, share that sketchy website! Even by PM if you have to.

On 3/12/2017 at 2:27 PM, creeping judas said:

All I can say is that HDR and Forza Horizon 3 and Blizzard Mountain DLC is amazing!! There is definitely a difference with HDR on and off. Haven't seem much of a difference  playing GR:W?

What size did $2300 get you?

I just got the 55" due to the room it is setup in. Wish I went a bit larger for movies but I'm only sitting 5.5ft or so from the TV so I couldn't really go bigger as I use it for gaming as well.

On 3/14/2017 at 11:56 AM, Fifty said:

I'd buy that set without a second thought for under $1500. Dammit @djkail, share that sketchy website! Even by PM if you have to.

I tried looking for the website again but can't seem to locate it... I know the company was based out of Alberta and I had never heard of them before. If I run across it, and they still have it heavily discounted I'll link it here.

Looks like price on them has dropped to just below 2K now at most retailers.

On 2017-03-10 at 3:26 PM, lucwolfe said:

this would be a model I would look at (i'm not getting one) Future I'll have an 8 or 16k in 10 years

Companies are working on 8k but not enough people know that the human eye cannot process anything much more than the 4k resolution.

• Love 1

On 11/07/2017 at 8:57 PM, rcb031 said:

Companies are working on 8k but not enough people know that the human eye cannot process anything much more than the 4k resolution.

I didn't even know this. I'll sleep smarter tonight!

With my neighbourhood getting Telus' Pure Fibre service next month I'm finalizing my research about what TV we're going with.

Those LG 6150 sets got a software upgrade that lowered the input lag during HDR gaming to 10.5ms. The 55" versions are also under $1,000 with free shipping on Amazon.ca. 60" jumps to nearly $1,700. The KS8000's are becoming increasingly harder to find and the 55" still runs $1,600+.

That same LG set as Sam has seems like a really tough deal to beat especially with that update.

4 hours ago, BBQ Bacon said:

When the TV we're using at the cottage finally dies, I'm thinking of replacing it with this.  But considering it cost $100 for a 55" plasma TV through my wife's work, it has done us very well.

https://www.costco.ca/Sharp-Aquos-LC-75N8000U-75-in.-Smart-4K-Ultra-HD-LED-TV.product.100295975.html

Nice one Dean!! That should more than do!

• Like 1