lucwolfe

Are you getting "The Switch"?

Are you getting "The Switch"?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting "The Switch"?

• Damn Right!
    • No I'm a Genesis Fan
    • Undecided

Difficult to say, as I had to shell out some cash for a new TV recently, and purchased a Xbox 1 S to go with it. I don't think I will be able to talk my way into a Switch?

Seems like a few of the Switches that are already in the wild are having minor issues. Specifically with the joy-cons.

Save for Mario my Wii U collected nothing but dust. I blame Kirby for pressuring me in to buying one in the first place. I am firmly in the wait and see camp. I've been known to be weak when it comes to new hardware when I see it in the wild. I must be strong.

I'll be curious how long it takes to even find one on shelves

I really want to play the new Zelda but I sold my Wii U late last year and just not sure I want to have another Nintendo console to collect dust and only play 1 or 2  games on it.

I'll be getting one, just not sure when. I've pre-ordered Zelda and MarioKart by trading in 3ds games that I no longer play, but haven't pre-ordered the console. Most of my gaming has been on my 3ds, vita, and iPad the last few years, so I'm looking forward to the portability of the Switch.

Not preordered, but thinking of trading my Wii u and an extra Xbox one I have sitting around for it.  Seriously can't figure out how to be digital in a house with 2 gamertag and digital games.   I really think if I didn't have them sitting around I would have been a no.  Will wait till in wild though after the fake Nintendo shortage they always have for hype.

I like the idea of the switch, but my thought is that once it is set up I will never see it again.  Will probably find it in the kid's room all the time or in his backpack.  I am still a little shocked at how quickly the WiiU got replaced so I will have to wait and see.  Its a great concept that I think Sony missed the boat on with the PS4 and the Vita, being able to play your PS4 games on a portable system.  I am also wondering if its not that Sony missed the boat, but that Sony couldn't actually get it to work in real life.

There are so many great systems that didn't seem to live up to their potential like the PSP Go (that I still use once in a while) that seemed to lack decent games.

• Love 1

On 3/6/2017 at 2:49 PM, Darb2k said:

Tried to pick one up on Sunday after pondering over it. No success here!

Was able to source one today. $400 Zelda box!!

I would like to pick one up, but finding out seems impossible, as is the norm with any Nintendo launch I suppose. I do hate their "give 3 consoles per store then make everybody wait for 3 months" distribution strategy.

Fuck no. I got burned with the Wii U, and the switch only has 1 game worth playing at the moment... which I can also get for my Wii U. Add to it the design issues, Nintendo suggesting you to act like dead pixels are not a defect, the really limited battery life (which kind of nukes it as much of a portable since you can't even stand it and charge it at the same time), etc etc... Unless they really up their game I suspect this one console will die on the vine just like the last one. I mean they can't even output Zelda in 1080p and the game still drops fps hard while the PS4 is rendering Horizon Zero Dawn is far better detail at a proper 1080p for $50 less the cost of a Switch AND it comes bundled with a great game too. 

Basically I think Nintendo has missed the boat again. 

• Love 2

I cant disagree with your points bud. Although i got myself a switch, i think nintendo still has a ledge where you can bring your games everywhere on the go and play it as a home console. Yes its not 4k but if they cannget solid games..  the graphics shouldn't be an issue.

How many games  are there looks awesome but has no gameplay value or are full with bugs even months after release?

Im enjoying zelda at the moment and since im not too good on most games it should last me a while.

Im really intrigued with mario kart and mario odyssey  and possible another zelda in the works.

I heard good things regarding splatoon on the wii u so i might grab that also.

On 3/11/2017 at 6:55 AM, lucwolfe said:

I cant disagree with your points bud. Although i got myself a switch, i think nintendo still has a ledge where you can bring your games everywhere on the go and play it as a home console. Yes its not 4k but if they cannget solid games..  the graphics shouldn't be an issue.

How many games  are there looks awesome but has no gameplay value or are full with bugs even months after release?

Im enjoying zelda at the moment and since im not too good on most games it should last me a while.

Im really intrigued with mario kart and mario odyssey  and possible another zelda in the works.

My issue is games. Yes, they seem to be attracting some indie titles, but the big third party players are what counts.  It's a given that Nintendo will make good games, but even now I am somewhat worried. Zelda is 900p on a big TV. Anyone remember that Xbox One got slaughtered when games released at 900p?  But yet, Nintendo get's a pass.  Yes, I know it's not visuals over gameplay, but when you tout your console to be a home console first, with portable capabilities, then you release it underpowered, there are concerns.

If 3rd parties really sign up, and make Switch versions of some games that are on the X1 and/or PS4, then I will be more interested.  Imagine playing NHL 18 on the go? That would be cool, But so far we have Skylanders (released), FIFA 18 (announced) and an old version of Skyrim (Announced).  Where are the BIG third party titles?

Plus their online strategy isn't even confirmed yet. To have to use an external device (tablet or mobile phone) to chat and do all the things you can do with Xbox Live or PSN is, IMHO, the pits.

Anyhow, I will be interested for E3 to see what, if any, big third party titles are announced.

That is my 2 cents.

Outtie

On 11/03/2017 at 9:55 AM, lucwolfe said:

I totally have every intention of buying Zelda, but it will be on my Wii U. It looks like a great game, but the Switch barely runs it much better than the previous generation. Mario Kart and Splatoon I find almost insulting as someone who bought them on Wii U. Mario Kart is simply a port of the same game from the Wii U with a few minor additions, and Splatoon from what I've seen is essentially the exact same game as the first one on the Wii U but with a promise of better online support and additional maps down the line, basically what it should have had the first time around on the Wii U. 

Regarding your argument about games with no gameplay value and bugs, I'd argue Nintendo's own history with the Wii. Majority of software on that console was shovelware in some of the worst ways. The only reason the Wii U wasn't inundated with the same was due to the really poor sales resulting in 3rd party studios pulling support early on. My fear is that if 3rd parties do end up backing the Switch, especially if it ends up not being powerful enough to handle recent big multi-platform games such as Ghost Recon or Mass Effect Andromeda, we may very well see a return of the dreaded shovelware games. The whole portability idea is great, albeit short lived due to the battery life, but I just don't think the console has the juice to be capable of truly competing with MS and Sony in the longer term. My prediction is the Switches library will be mainly populated by Nintendo games, tons of indie games, and a smaller mix of new games running in a nerfed capacity (lower resolutions, less AA and effects, omitted features, possibly major framerate issues in complex areas) or older games that get ported over. 

I hope I'm wrong, I really do because like many I grew up with the Big N, but I just have a hard time seeing this be the real success Nintendo needs after the Wii U.

I can't remember what I put under for my vote, but I have to shamefully admit I traded in my Wii U and some Wii U games towards a Switch yesterday. 

EB Games had some great trade in deals. I don't usually like EB Games, but their offers were ones I could not pass up.  I got $150 dollars for my Wii-U, and then double credit for my Wii U games that I traded in (well most of them at least) that were only doubled if towards a Switch or Switch product..  I ended up getting $387 in trade-in credit, which almost pays for the whole thing.

Now, I don't see myself playing it as much as my kids will. Splatoon 2, Just Dance, Mario, and other 'kid' friendly titles in the family room. And I can of course hit Mario when I want to.

I am still not 100% sold on the tech or machine, but the trade-in stuff was just too great not to take advantage off.

They did not have any in stock, and they weren't supposed to do the trade-in stuff without it, but the manager at EB Games was quite good at helping me out, and she knew her stuff. She's a gamer too that seemed to know all platforms, which was nice to see, and hear of course.

Anyhow, just thought I'd fill you mo-fos in.  I'll be keeping my eye on them to get the product, but given the trade in programs were not indefinite (one ended today) I don't mind not having the machine yet, as I have other things to keep me (gaming) and the kids (gaming wise) busy for now.

Outtie

Walked into walmart yesterday and they received about 4 units. I imagine that we will see steady stocking in a couple weeks.

Still loving BOTW and I do not regret picking up a switch to play it anywhere!

I am liking it more then I thought I would but like already has been said on this topic games are going to be an issue.

I love Zelda and I am probably going to pick up Mario Kart.

I had fun with the Splatoon test today but I don't think Id buy that one.

Unless Nintendo has a bunch at E3 I am nervous this may collect as much dust as my Wii U did

On 3/18/2017 at 8:15 PM, Darb2k said:

Walked into walmart yesterday and they received about 4 units. I imagine that we will see steady stocking in a couple weeks.

Still loving BOTW and I do not regret picking up a switch to play it anywhere!

On 3/26/2017 at 7:30 AM, Blizz20 said:

I am liking it more then I thought I would but like already has been said on this topic games are going to be an issue.

I love Zelda and I am probably going to pick up Mario Kart.

I had fun with the Splatoon test today but I don't think Id buy that one.

Unless Nintendo has a bunch at E3 I am nervous this may collect as much dust as my Wii U did

OUH! I'M GONNA HAVE TO ADD FRIEND CODES to my list

this is the dumbest thing ever!